As I’ve said before, I’m a recent convert to meditation myself. I originally thought Meditation and Mindfulness were primarily used as a way to clear the mind and bring acceptance, calmness and harmony to the body.
But, I can imagine that you, as I was, might be thinking… “That’s all great, but what about in today’s fast-paced, ‘need-everything-now’ World? Can it do anything else?”
Well, what was once viewed purely as an art form, is now seen just as often as a science. And, over the last few decades, there have been dozens of studies, all over the World. Each of them trying to validate, or dismiss some claim, or another.
I’ve put together a small list of the most popular things Meditation and Mindfulness can help with:
The links in each of these Mindfulness and Meditation benefits point to a piece of scientific evidence to save you having to go look 😉 .
- It helps reduce stress
- It helps you to controls anxiety
- It promotes emotional health
- It enhances self-awareness
- It can lengthen your attention span
- It improves your focus
- It will improve the quality of your sleep
- It helps improves memory
- It can help you to control pain
- It helps regulate mood
- It can help you to become more creative
- It reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke
- It reduces blood pressure
- It’s even been shown to help with things like Fibromyalgia and Psoryasis. (PDFs)
So, whether you’ve had an interest in Meditation and/or Mindfulness for some time, or if it’s something you’ve just started looking into: there’s plenty of reasons to practice every day.
Why not let me know in the comments if you’ve found Mindfulness, or Meditation has helped you in some way?